About Motus Humanus
Motus Humanus means “human movement.” Because it is an omnipresent dimension of human activity, movement matters ...
Moreover, the study of human movement is relevant to many fields of endeavor, ranging from the human sciences to the creative arts, business, education, and medicine.
Movement professionals understand the importance of movement and have unique contributions to make, both in specialized disciplinary applications and in raising general public awareness.
Motus Humanus is dedicated to promoting the field of movement study and the professional development of movement specialists in the tradition of Rudolf Laban.
In order for the field of Laban-based movement study to grow, six conditions are necessary:
- There must be opportunities for continuing education in movement analysis and notation.
- There must also be occasions for movement professionals to interact with one another and to network with professionals from other fields that share an interest in human movement.
- Theoretical research must be on-going.
- The practice of movement professionals must continue to improve.
- The public demand for the services of movement professionals (especially Laban-trained specialists) must be cultivated.
- The field must be self-governing, so that incompetent and unethical practices are not tolerated.
Motus Humanus meets these needs through its membership benefits, events, and public services.